View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: rookie needs some help

This is just my .02..... But, the three forks is a really respectable rig-- wait for it....... FOR THE MONEY. I actually picked up a 3 wt. 7'6" thre forks combo because of a screaming deal that I just couldn't pass up. It has almost become my go to rod-- (Admittedly, I do really like the feel of the lighter weight, but all in all, I think it is a gem of a rod...)

When you say a wet noodle-- what does that mean? You don't like the flex of the rod? Does it have a 'dead spot' in the cast?

I guess that I'm hinting at this: It doesn't matter what anyone here can recommend, the only way you will get the rig that you like, is by casting a number of rods and just see what you like. The three forks is not a bad rod, which tells me that you are not dealing with a dog of a rod and it comes down to personal preference.

Just a word of caution; there will be a fairly sharp learning curve with a much faster action rod, especially for a 'beginner' as you have stated you kind of are. I'm somewhere between a beginner and an accomplished fly caster (4 or 5 years fly fishing), and I still throw many tailing loops when I pick up my fast(er) action 5 wt. I've concluded that I just prefer a slower action-- mid flex is about perfect for me.

Also, a longer rod will typically give you more feedback/ feel--

Long winded, sorry....

//Edit// I think it was hardyreels that said something to the extent of; the only fly rod that he has cast, that wasn't worth using, was a broken one....