Thread: Why barbless?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why barbless?

Interesting post on a thought provoking topic. I hadn't even considered how felt soles are being phased out but that barbed hooks are still in out there in the masses. I only know of one fly shop that I have been in that offers flies tied on barbless hooks. Even at that, the selection of which ones are barbless is minimal.

Maybe it's a one of those things in life that require us to walk before we run? I think overall, there's still a long way to go with Catch and Release, and improving the habitats of fishing--at least here in PA anyway. WI does an outstanding job managing their fisherie, I'm sure there are other states as well but that's one that sticks out to me based on first hand experiences there.

Back to barbless hooks, I will buy barbless if I see a size and specific hook style I'm looking for. If not, I just pinch the barb down and go from there.