View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 AM

bigtroutak is on a distinguished road
Default Help - new to warmwater!

Hi All, new to your forum so I thought I'd drop a line and say hi. Due to health reasons I had to leave my flyfishing paradise in Alaska and move to the desert of Arizona. Fortunately I managed to land next to Lake Havasu so my fishing opportunities, although drastically changed, still exist.

In just a few trips with the kids (you know the kind where they fish and you watch 95% of the time) I've managed to catch a bunch of bluegills, crappie, and sunfish as well as several smallmouth and one largemouth bass. (This has been done largely through pure luck and instinct since there are no bass in AK)

While casting to these smaller fish though I keep seeing these MASSIVE carp come swimming by and I have become obsessed. I've read just about everything I can find on them (since this is the first time in my 33 years I have ever seen one) and am absolutely addicted. Now, the real challenge: actually hooking one. Does anyone out there have any sage advice on catching these beasts, or any of the other strange warmwater species?

Great forum BTW

Tight Lines,

John