View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waders.. Teach me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I look at alternatives, and man some of these things run 600$ bucks... So teach me, I understand there are differences between a 70$ and a 600$ pair of waders.. but seriously is there 530$ worth of difference??? What makes it 600 bucks?
Let's bump the price point up to $700 for the Simms G4z.
  1. Licensing to use a Gore brand membrane. Gore charges brands a high licensing fee to use its membranes.
  2. Gore membranes are the best waterproof and breathable membranes on the market.
  3. Gore membranes cost more expensive than other membranes on the market.
  4. High end waders use multiple layers of membranes to make them more durable.
  5. Simms Gore membraned waders are produced in the USA. These waders are not made by slave labor waged employees overseas.
  6. The waterproof zipper on a G4z costs $100.
  7. The harness on a G4z is not a cheap web harness.
  8. There is a lifetime of the product warranty.

Does everybody need $700 waders? Nope. However you may want to pay more for better quality waders if you will be fishing a lot. A person who fishes five days a year won't put as much wear and tear on a set of waders compared to a person who fishes 100 days or more.

There a lot of quality waders that you can choose from well below $700. If you want a "made in USA" wader with a Gore membrane, Simms make a model called the Rivershed at the $299 price point. Redington sells its non-Gore membraned CPX wader with a waterproof zipper at the $279 price point.

I got back into fly fishing in the late 90s. I did not start fishing during the fall and winter months until 2001. I bought a set of $130 Hodgemans. I put in about 30 fishing days in them when the seams started to fail. I replaced them with a set of Patagonia SST waders. Those were $300 at the time. I replaced those in 2007 with a newer set of Patagonias. My SSTs were still usable, but I ended up giving them away.

MP