Thread: Shopping list
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 01:39 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping list

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgamble View Post
Hi all. So I want to start tying my own saltwater flies. They are just too pricey to pay in shop. I am new to tying and have nothing. In terms of materials, what should I get to get started? If I ask the shop guy I will end up buying shares in the store. I fish in New England, so stripers and blues. Any decently priced vises you can recommend? What makes a good or bad vise? Looking to get that off ebay.
Thanks in advance.
Josh,
Here's a reality. You may not save much money tying flies. The costs of a good vise, tools, and materials add up. Factor in time, you'll have another cost.

Here's the other reality. What you will get out of tying your own flies is the satisfaction of having a fly the way that you want it. A tweak here and a tweak there can give you the variation that may catch more fish than the stock pattern.

As for materials, you will need the materials of the flies that you plan to tie. My guess is that you will be tying up Deceiver and Clouser type flies. Visit your fly shop and tell the shop guy that you want to tie those flies in certain sizes and colors. You will probably spend about $30 to $40 in materials.

As for vises, what is important will vary from person to person. In the group of fly tiers who I hang out with, each person is in one of two camps: Regal Medallion or full inline rotary (Abel, Dyna King, Renzetti). What is important is that you have a vise that holds hooks well. I would shy away from vises that have stupid plastic parts. I prefer vises that have jaws made from stainless steel for long term durability. It is also wise to get a vise from a reputable brand that will be able to service it years on down the road. I have sent older Regal, Dyna King, and Renzetti products back to their service centers for basic servicing. They were serviced and returned back in a timely fashion.

If you have buddies who tie, ask them if you can tie flies on their vises. You may like the ease and jaw power of a Regal or you may prefer the full inline rotary design of a Dyna King or Renzetti.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 09-30-2010 at 11:19 PM.