Thread: Shopping list
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 04:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping list

If you intend to tie up Clousers and Deceivers (as MP suggested), you won't need a rotary vise. I used a Griffin 2A for a few years, and it does what a vise is supposed to do: hold hook tenaciously. It has an adjustable head, and really does hold big hooks (and little hooks) like the most expensive. It's also made in the USA: CLICK HERE FOR BARGAIN PRICE

You can get buy with a single bobbin, and one decent pair of scissors. I like to use a Griffin whip finishing tool. A few spools of thread, and some bucktail,
feathers, krystal flash, and eyes for the Clousers should get you going. Hooks would be helpful too... Head cement or clear nail polish for securing your
thread once the fly is complete, and that should do it. Resist the temptation to tie every possible fly in every conceivable color. That's when tying becomes very costly, and you'll never fish that many flies. I have so many materials from my "I need to tie 100 of every fly I see" phase, and sometimes I find things in the bottom of my tying drawers that leaves me scratching my head in amazement.