View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: "Bounce" in my fly rod

Calling the casting instrument a "pole" offends it and it won't want to work with you after that point.

Just kidding, lemme see if I can offer some help. Frank's advice about getting all of the slack out of the line, the fly moving, and the rod tip by the water is right on, but here's one more hint: Try to lift the line off the water to the point where the leader connects before beginning your backward cast. This will make surface tension less of a factor and prevent over-loading as you begin the rear-ward stroke.

Next, try easing up you grip at the end of your forward and rearward stroke. Even without a line on the rod, if you swing forward, and maintain a tight grip while you do the hard stop, the rod will continue to bounce and vibrate. Easing up your grip slightly right as you stop the power stroke should reduce that greatly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.