View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Wooly Bugger help

Hi dmabe,

You have a lot of good advise. Here are my thoughts about the Woolly Bugger. I don't particular like cone head buggers as most of the heads are too heavy. I like to tie my buggers with weight in the body with a standard thread head. I can vary how heavy the fly is by using more or less weight in the tie. This gives a different sink rate and works best for my style of fishing. I have had good luck fishing a bugger in a dead drift like I was fishing a nymph. Casting up and across I mend the fly line and let the fly search its way down stream. At the end of the drift I swing the fly across the currant and stripping line on occasion to change the swing.

I think that some buggers are tied with a hackle that is too stiff. I like the hackle to be more on the soft side so it moves with the currant. The method I use comes from fishing a lot of woolly worms before the bugger was popular. The Woolly Bugger is a modified woolly worm. I still have woolly worms in my fly box.

Frank