View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

While I was tying up those other Grub patterns, I took a look through Hale's book and one of the things that became obvious was that he was a little ahead of his time in terms of using things that you and I would consider essentials today; like a vise! Whereas his contemporary Salmon Fly tyers were tying all of their patterns by hand (holding the hook in their hand while they applied the materials), he was using a vise.

Now it wasn't exactly what we'd consider a fly tying vise today, but it seemed to do the job for him. He was a Captain in the military, so devices, gadgets and technology were probably attractive to him.

It made me think of all the threads that we have on this forum about what vise, when, how-much, etc. Here it is; photo'd from a page in his book:

Click the image to open in full size.

Now......don't all rush out and buy one.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 10-04-2010 at 08:18 PM.