View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 11:17 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cleaning fly line?

I haven't had a line crack in 15-20 years probably because I never tried to second-guess the line manufacturers by saving a couple bucks by using garage or kitchen chemicals to put on them.
Detergents like dish soap are a no-no. This according to one of the largest line manufacturers in the world. They say detergent leaches the plastisizors. I wouldn't know, never tried it.
Ivory bar soap is all I use if I use any soap. Todays lines stay amazingly clean and most often can get by with just a wipe or two with a wet cloth. At times I'll use those 3M micro-abrasive pads SA markets to bring a fresh, new surface to the top.
For dressing on non-AST, Slickshooter, J3 coated lines Glide and Rio Slickshooter work great and last a long time. They need to set a while before buffing the conditioner in but to me the pain is worth it.
SA dressing makes the line real slick but doesn't seem to last as long as the other two and seems to attract dirt more readily.
I've played with ZipCast and am less than impressed. It's easy on but seems easy off. Basically, a wash.
If you ask a friend, Armorall ruined his new Orvis Wonderlines. I've also heard it washes off easily too.
In a nutshell, mild soap and water for the most part or the 3M pads if they're really skanky and Rio or Glide if they're the type that need conditioning.
Why second guess the manufacturers? It's not like they're getting rich off of a $3.00 bottle of line conditioner.