View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Glo bugs / egg flies

I haven't fished any recently, but wanted to throw out a cool trick to make tying them neater.

Basically, but instead of using a 1-4 short pieces of yarn, start out using a piece of yarn about 8-12" long. Use one end of it on top of the hook shank, throw on a couple of wraps, and then spin it around to the bottom of the hook shank with a firm tug. Now really secure it. Now tie the other end of the long piece of yarn to the top securely. (You should have a loop of yarn off to the side away from the eye of the hook.)

To trim, grab the yarn attached to the top of the shank, pull up firmly, and make a cut with your scissors horizontal about 1/4" above the shank. Repeat on the bottom. Throw away the short piece, and repeat the process with 7.5"-11.5" of yarn you've got left.

I think you'll find this makes tying glo-bugs faster and neater. (Kudos to Bruce Young of Tackle Box Outfitters in San Antonio for the tip!)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.