View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Glo bugs / egg flies

Hi burns,

I fished a lot of egg patterns in Alaska but not so in the lower 48. Egg fishing, in my experience, is a very specialized type of fishing. In Alaska eggs are only fished when the Salmon are in the river and spawning. Other times they are seldom used. They work because the fish are focused on eating the millions of eggs in the river. If you are fishing the only egg in the river I don't think it will be a good searching fly.

In your area where you are fishing for stocked trout with the brown egg?? it may work. I think in this case the stocked fish is eating it because it looks like a food pellet and not because the fish thinks it is an egg. I doubt that a stocked fish even knows what an egg is. So again, I don't think an egg pattern would be a good searching pattern. Now if you are fishing where there are Salmon or Steelhead spawning then an egg pattern may be a good choice. Why don't you experiment and let us know how it works out for you.

Frank