View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Brwon Trout caught in Brook trout waters

Lambster,

I reread your post to be sure that you said 40' waterfall. I would have to say that someone put that brown up there. When fishing a population of brook trout that are genetically specific because of a natural geologic structure like a waterfall that brown trout is actually an invasive specie and should be removed. Browns are more aggressive than brook trout and use the same areas and the same season for spawning. These two facts spell trouble for any resident brook trout population when Salmo Trutta is introduced to the range of the brookie.

Although catching a large brown in a small brook is exciting when upon examining the probable cause for its presence the brown trout does not belong there. I am speaking from an ecological viewpoint and hope you understand that I do not mean to rain on your parade. I grew up in North Central Pennsylvania and know all too well how the brown can eventually relagate the once native & dominate species to only a head waters existence. This will result in fewer and smaller brook trout but more and larger browns. It is a matter of conscience but you may want to harvest browns in the future and report anyone who you find doing their own privet stocking program.

Just call me the bearer of doom & gloom,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;