View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite "loop" knot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedun View Post
“I have never had one break” are common themes in these knot discussions; this implies that there is little correlation between lab or pre testing and the real world of in the water fishing. Regarding this discussion, I would take a lesson from the trout fishers; you do want the knot from the tippet to the fly to break before the knot from the tippet to the end of the tapered fly leader. The main reason is to minimize the introduction of mono into the environment or attached to the fishes body. Secondarily, if the tippet is tied long enough you just tie on another fly and you are fishing again in a timely manner in an area that is more likely to have fish. Pretesting your rigs as I previously mentioned is the correct way to achieve this goal.
One of the first things that an experienced trout fisherman learns when he first starts fishing the salt is that many knots that are suitable in sweet water just don't cut it in the salt.
The very last thing you'd want to do is purposely use a knot that will fail.
Every knot should be as close to 100% as possible.
The only exception is if your tippet is stronger than your backing. Even then you still use the best knots that you know and then perhaps tie an overhand knot in your tippet to weaken it.