Thread: Fiberglass rod
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 03:16 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiberglass rod

Sandfly, I have a 5'3" 4-5wt. Fenwick (don't know how you got an inch shorter, but sweet little rod). Curtis knows of this one cause I guess it was his at one time.
Anyway, I am going in a different direction here. I have a McFarland Glass rod 8' 6wt. and I use it for everything! I love this rod.
I do use "6wt." line on it and I use from Floating to a Type VII. True you have to slow down on sinking lines, but it is really easy to cast after you get the timing down.
I was unaware Sage made glass so, hang on to it my friend. Gotta be kewl.
I like glass because of the softer tip. Lose less fish that way, but it can be harder to set the hook so practice pulling with your line hand like Cliff and others do.
I have landed 32" carp with this rod (hense it's name "Alcarpone") and it was a blast.
I will agree however, that a fast current river could present new problems. Just make sure you have a clear path and can run in wading shoes, and you will be alright LOL.