View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 08:26 PM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Close call

I've been fortunate in that in 40 years of fishing I've only had one rod tip brake and I do not know how it happened. It was during short day trip just this year while casting a tip broke off a rod while casting within minutes of arriving at the first stop of the day. I do not know why it happened. It could have been compromised by a fall I'd taken while crossing a dry river bed when some rocks rolled out from under my feet even after checking for a sure footing a couple weeks earlier, however I fished that rod half a day after that fall and landed numerous fish without issue that day. Hopefully I can go another 40 years without braking another one.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.