View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 03:08 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Favorite "loop" knot?

Seajay,

Those large fish you mentioned all require a shock tippet or bite tippet. Included in the number that require a bite tippet or wire are snook, mackerel, kingfish, baracuda, permit (most guys), sharks, dolphin.

They aren't used for tensile strength, but abrasion, bite-through or gill cover cutt-offs. In the old days, for tarpon most of us used 100 lb test shock tippets. Even if the fly end loop knot (for those who used them) only tested at 30%, it was still 50% stronger than 20 lb class tippet- and everyone used 16 lb back then for the class tippet.

Bones and redfish are about the only common fly fishing species I fish for, that don't require shock tippets. But a bimini to the hook eye is not a good way to go after bones either in my opinion. A modified slim beauty is what I use on them - 4 turns away and three back down to the hook eye and through the line loop is the fastest, and easiest for me. It can be doubled as well for a little more strength, though I never bother with that.

I would guess that the Lefty Loop is the most common loop knot down here. I use my own variation simply because it is more streamlined, and the tag exits the eye end of the knot. There is not as big a bump on the side as with the Lefty Loop. And I can leave a tag without picking up bay grass with it.

But it is a little more difficult to tie properly than the Lefty Loop.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 10-17-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Editing in RED