View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM

nedun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorite "loop" knot?

Jim: You are correct regarding the era that the tippet line classes proliferated, however prior to that time it was 12 lb. tippet class that was the standard for the South Florida fishing clubs, tournaments and Saltwater Flyrodders. I think the major changes occurred when the IGFA took over the Saltwater Flyrodders records. My latest issue in this regard is as follows:

I commend Tom Evans on his outstanding catch of a new world record tarpon on 12 lb. test. I still consider this to to be the sporting fly heavy tippet for regulation saltwater fly gear. I have felt that the tarpon that I caught and released on fly in 1972 would still have been the record on 12 lb. test tippet until now. Many of the record fish that were caught during this 38 year period were either not as large as my fish or caught on heavier tippet classes.

[The photo won't paste here, if you want to see it e-mail your e-address]

Photo of Norman Duncan with the 180+ Lb. tarpon (L=77”, G=44”), caught on 12 lb. test tippet, 12-weight Kennedy Fisher fly rod, Seamaster fly reel, and Chico’s Seducer Fly, guided by Gary Maconi in May 1972.
I remember quite clearly the circumstances of catching that big fish. Gary Maconi poled me up to a school of fish off Pine Island (probably the Oklahoma flat) and I hooked one on a Chico’s Seducer Fly that I had tied on a 4/0 Mustad hook. The feathers were saddle hackles as follows: two grizzlies, one yellow and one white per wing and the same combination palmered along the shank of the hook to the eye (you can see the fly quite clearly in the above photo, I still have the fly with the leader). After the fish made its initial runs and jumps we followed it and motored up close enough to see that this fish was still in the original school, however it was not the biggest fish in the school. There were fish in that school at least a foot longer than the one I had on, after a while the fish tired, it took about 45 minutes total to bring it to the boat. We measured the length (77”) and girth (44”) while it was in the water calming down, then Gary and I lifted the fish in and Gary took a couple of photos. We slid it back into the water and resuscitated the fish. We knew it was a record fish at the time but we didn't want to kill such a big beautiful animal because I felt strongly about not killing (this) these wild animals. After reviving the fish we followed it for quite some time, meanwhile I calculated the weight to be over 180 pounds. We decided that if the fish expired we would take it in and drive down to Sarasota to weigh it and claim it was caught off of Pine Island on the west coast (Charlotte Harbor) when it was really Pine Island north of Bayport. Meanwhile, the fish took off and hopefully rejoined the school.