View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nautilus FWX compared to Galvan?

The FWX reels are remachined FW series reels. Reel frame sizes are the same, but the porting is different. The spool dimensions are new. The drag systems have not changed.

Compared to other reels, the Nautilus FW/X drag system is butter smooth on startup, but it lacks some high end stopping power. For a trout reel, that's ok. For larger fish, like Steelhead or Striped Bass, that isn't ok. I fished a FW7+ that belonged to one of my fishing buddies for Steelhead. I had to set the drag almost to its highest setting to get some stopping power. If I used my Abel, my drag would had been set half way.

MP

Edit: I found the Galvan Torque drag system has more drag on the high end compared to the Nautilus FW/X reels.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-21-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added something.