View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Felt or Rubber Sole Boots .. An Open Can of Worms

I needed to get a quick pair of wading shoes this Spring, I bought a pair of felt bottoms ($19 clearance at W@lmart) and they worked fine...until this past weekend when I was up fishing the Erie tribs. Those streams are shale bottomed, with some sections that were one sheet of shale for the creek bottom for 50 to 100 yards. Walking on that was like walking on a slip n slide, and I almost took a drink more than once. My buddy who had rubber bottoms was fine (actually, I think I was the only idiot with felt on the entire stream. I didn't get the memo.) In fact, there were several times that he had to wait for me to catch up.

Point is, I can't think of a single instance where felt would out perform rubber soles. Spend that extra money and get the rubber. Consider it an investment in your safety. I would recommend something with a Vibram's rubber sole. I have that on other shoes and boots and the traction is the bee's knees.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog