View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 07:43 PM

switchfisher will become famous soon enoughswitchfisher will become famous soon enough
Default Muddy Run (off the Jackson - Virginia)

After working the special regulation area of the Jackson, I took the time to work up Muddy Run for about 3/4 of a mile (blog link below). Muddy hits the Jackson about 0.2 miles from the start of the special regs area and was advertised as having both brook trout and rainbow escapees that darted upstream from the Jackson.

Sadly, this stream is pretty beat up. Not from the normal problems of pressure and trash, but from drought. There was a barely visible flow - just a pathetic trickle of water. In fact, down by the Jackson itself, it was bone dry as you can see from the picture:

Click the image to open in full size.

I only found one pool big enough to fish - and it did have some trout in it. The farther upstream, the tougher the fishing became.

This was hands and knees - going through stuff like this:

I resolved to start bringing kneepads with me - most of the 3/4 mile was spent trying to hide -

I did catch a few small rainbows - nothing to brag about. In fact, upon reflection about the drought, I should not have even been up there as the catch and release probably added more stress to these already stressed out guys;

Next time I am here, I'll just stick with the main river. Unless somebody knows of anything great on Muddy Run beyond the 3/4 mile I penetrated?