Thread: Picking a Vise
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picking a Vise

I am glad you are thinking of getting a vise that will last. Many people get into the pitfall of getting a vise then growing out of it. Do it right the first time.

My circle of fly tying friends are split into two groups: rotary tyers and non-rotary tyers.

True rotary tying involves using a vise that will allow a hook to spin on its shank axis. This allows materials to be wrapped onto the hook by spinning a handle on the back end of the vise. Renzetti, Dyna King, C&F, Peak, some Regals, and Danvise are true rotary vises. If I tied Rotary, I would be using a Dyna King Barracuda. It turns smoothly and has great hook holding power.

The other camp is the non-rotary camp. These fly tyers aren't concerned about wrapping materials rotary style. These vises are simple designs. Regal, some Dyna Kings, and Anvil vises are examples. I am part of this camp. I use a Regal Medallion Vise with the stainless steel jaws. I use it for its simplicity and hook holding power.

There are many ways to go. Good luck on your search.

MP