Thread: Picking a Vise
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Picking a Vise

I prefer rotary but mainly for easily checking the progress and symmetry of the fly from all angles.
A rotary vise functions very well and most times as a non-rotary! The non-rotary is just that... non-rotary.
I went with a Renzetti a long time ago. The only upgrade I did was add cam jaws just 'cuz I could and because, being a productive member of society I found it my duty to help keep that shop in Florida open!
I went a level up from the Traveler but have many friends who have the Traveler, use the heck out of them and have no plans of upgrading.

For one of the club vises we have a Danvise but rarely use it because the jaws somehow got chipped. Can't say if that's typical of the Danvise or not but I find it a bit worrisome.

Another consideration is the base, a platform (standard base) that goes anywhere or a clamp. the clamp is most stable but may not fit on some tables. Personally, I haul the base around when travelling. Too many times I had to use an up-ended coffee table to find a spot to clamp to.