View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Winter fishing in Alaska

Hi wfosborn,

Oh boy, living in Alaska, it doesn't get any better than that.

I live in Fairbanks for 12 years and there was a lot of winter fishing. We caught a bunch of trout.

The first thing you do is get a good ice auger. Find a lake with trout in it and you are good to go. You didn't think I was fishing rivers did you. If you have a plane you can fly to lakes or use a snowmobile. A portable depth finder is handy to locate fish. We usually fished when the weather warmed up to -30F or so. Winter ice fishing can be very productive.

Cordova has a lot warmer climate than Fairbanks and I would think you would be good for some rock fish if you have a boat. As for fly fishing I think your best bet is Spring time. Does Eyak lake freeze over during the winter?

Frank