View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Flies and Sink Tips

Lancer09: Diagnosing casting issues is difficult over the internet. I'm not familiar with the Dogwood Canyon line of rods so I went to their web site. They don't specifically say what action the rod is, but just guessing from the description below I'd say a medium action, but someone with experience with these rods hopefully with chime in. "Designed specifically to help introductory fly anglers excel in the sport. Dogwood Canyon™ rods are forgiving as your skills improve". A 6 wt fly rod should be able to throw a sink tip line and a #6 streamer further than 35 ft, but you will be handicaped using a medium action rod. A fast action rod would be more appropriate to throw that extra weight. I use a 6wt fast action Orvis TLS rod I bought off EBay with a SA Kelly Galloup Streamer Express 200 grain sink tip, and I'm no expert caster for sure and I can throw that line 60 ft easily. Once you get the casting issues lined out take a look at Kelly's articulated streamers, they have amazing action in the water.

Larry