View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Pacific Salmon on Flies - By Dennis Dickson

A good article Mr. Dickson.

I live in Wasilla Alaska and fish my States waters for Salmon every year. I should tell you that I have been fishing nothing but flies that I tie since 1975. Prior to that I would still use a baited hook if I thought it would be more effective than an artificial. Those were my Jack of All Trades years.

Without digressing too far into the "I've been doing this long before some of you were born" presentation I'll get to the real point. I fish every year from the Mat Su Valley and the Kenai Peninsula to Kodiak Island and I catch all four species of Salmon and the Steelhead Trout that run our rivers. I catch them on streamers and attractor patterns such as Comets. Sometimes I catch fish on greased Muddlers or Bombers skidded across the surface but always I catch fish because they take the fly!

When I find fish who won't take it there seem to be underlying circumstances that usually are related to human pressure on the fish. Salmon, Trout, Char, or for that much few fish that I've ever encountered will take a bite of food when spooked. If you are hovering directly over a King Salmon regardless of how far it is from the salt, it usually won't take a fly or anything else for that matter.

I don't experience trouble often at getting the fly into the fish's mouth but then I labor long and hard to put myself as far from the maddening crowds as possible. I also go to great lengths to hide my presence from the fish regardless of where they were born. Any fish who does not know I'm attached to the fly, or for that much even present at all, is usually a fish about to be caught.

In a nut shell, try to find a fish, don't let it see you, make a good cast so to present the fly close to the fish and wham mo, a Salmon will take the fly.

By the way, I've never even had one of those plastic beads tied on any of my rods. Those aren't flies boys and if you use them to catch Trout, Char, Or Steelies, I'm not impressed. Beads are are for necklaces and desperate people who I would prefer to see play golf, not pretend to fly fish.

Regards,

Hardyreels