View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default How do I tie Faster?

I have been tying for about 5 years now and I have never met a pattern that I couldn't tie, I can usually figure out the methods and make them look pretty near perfect. However, I have been perpetually frustrated by my lack of speed when tying even simple patterns. I spoke to a professional tyer in Grayling MI, who was going to tye 55 dozen hex in 8 different patterns 2 weeks. Honestly this blows my mind. He calls wolly buggers, skunks, bucktail streamers, etc. "one minute flies"! I asked him if he really meant "one minute" and he confirmed that he completes theses flies in less than 2 minutes.
I don't expect to be a professional tyer or to attain that level of speed, but I would like get quite a bit faster. It seems that everytime I sit down at the bench I spend 2 hours and come out with a dozen flies. A "quality" wooly bugger to me is about a 6-7 minute fly and that is after I get all of the materials out on the bench ready to utilize.
I would like to at least double my speed. My Renzetti 4000 cam vise has helped, I really utilize the rotating head as often as I can and have become quite good at it.
Any professional tyers in the forum that can help???
Thanks, Jason