View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How do I tie Faster?

I see that while I typed this Biggie was posting also, there may be some redundant content and if I find that my entire post is redundant I will delete it.

I used to tie flies one dozen at a time of the same pattern. The way to get it done was to break the work into steps. For instance, if I were going to tie 12 ginger quill dry flies on #16 hooks I would target the most time consuming part of the work (Slate gray mallard quill wings) and make 12 pairs of wings then set them aside.

Next came the stripped quill for the body, I would select 12 nice dark brown / red hackles from the base of a cape and strip them of all the fibers to provide 12 body wrappings.

Next select 12 neck hackle that are proper size and remove them from the cape and set them aside.

Select at least 2 saddle hackle to pull fibers from for the tails and you are ready to tie the twelve Ginger Quills.

You will notice the time saved by not having to select or prepare each individual piece of material for each fly that you intend to tie. Once you have all the materials at the ready you are free to work on improving your actual tying time as you work through a pattern.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;