View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: How do I tie Faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I have been tying for about 5 years now and I have never met a pattern that I couldn't tie, I can usually figure out the methods and make them look pretty near perfect. However, I have been perpetually frustrated by my lack of speed when tying even simple patterns. I spoke to a professional tyer in Grayling MI, who was going to tye 55 dozen hex in 8 different patterns 2 weeks. Honestly this blows my mind. He calls wolly buggers, skunks, bucktail streamers, etc. "one minute flies"! I asked him if he really meant "one minute" and he confirmed that he completes theses flies in less than 2 minutes.
I don't expect to be a professional tyer or to attain that level of speed, but I would like get quite a bit faster. It seems that everytime I sit down at the bench I spend 2 hours and come out with a dozen flies. A "quality" wooly bugger to me is about a 6-7 minute fly and that is after I get all of the materials out on the bench ready to utilize.
I would like to at least double my speed. My Renzetti 4000 cam vise has helped, I really utilize the rotating head as often as I can and have become quite good at it.
Any professional tyers in the forum that can help???
Thanks, Jason
I am pro fly tier and if that is any help for you just keep tying more...and then some more
Practice is everything
And dont worry...you tie flies for your own pleasure ....6-7 minutes for fly that makes you feel good is not much..is it?