View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 02:25 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly Fishing Shenandoah NP

There are a ton of good spots. My favorite streams in SNP are on the Eastern slope because you can access them from the lower Park boundary. The Hughes, White Oak Canyon Run, The Rose, Rapidan and Conway are all great streams. There is a particularly nice camping spot on the upper Rose River between the 2 forks about a mile down the mountain from Skyline Drive. The Rapidan offers some nice car camping spots along the fire road that parallels the stream just outside of the Park boundary. White Oak Canyon offers several large waterfalls and the scenery and fishing are both great. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Besides the brookies, you'll probably get into some brown trout on the Rose and the Conway, left over from past stocking below the Park boundary.

On the Western side of the Park there is a really nice stream named Big Run. It is one of the larger Park streams and is home to some really nice sized brookies. It's about a 4 mile hike down from Skyline drive (no access from the lower Park boundary). The hike down isn't bad but it's a killer coming back up so it's best to stay at least one night. One word of warning on Big Run...the last time I was down there we saw 2 black bears and had one rumbling around in our camp during the night.

As for gear, 2 - 4 weight rods are best, no longer than 7.5 feet. Lots of overhanging trees, brush and tight spots make longer rods a hassle. Take your attractor dries and the standard nymphs like princes, hare's ears and pheasant tails. Beetles, ants and crickets in the summer.

Hope that helps. I can also recommend a couple good books with detailed directions on access, etc if you're interested. Have fun.