View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 AM

steely is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to roll cast farther???

Easy as pie. Do you have a fly shop nearby that rents movies? If so I would rent rio's newest spey casting dvd. SImon shows you how to do spey casts with a single handed rod. You should do a snake roll. Basically you just draw a e with your rod. "--" is slow, start accelerating at top arc to where top arc meet "-", accelerate more for bottom arc, and this bottom arc has you in casting postition. Smoothly transition to forward cast with a haul.

As with roll cast, your line and a couple of feet of line should be on water, directly between you and target. Well I guess unlike roll cast only a couple of feet of line should be on water. Too much line on water will grasp at line, but you need some line to load your rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttrick View Post
Hey all,

I recently encountered a situation I, as a newbie to fly fishing, did not know the answer to. I was fishing a small lake/pond with still water for large mouth bass. While fishing, I was out in waist deep water. There was an over hanging tree above me, and brush on the bank maybe 10 feet behind me. I was practicing my roll cast as I thought this to be an excellent situation. My issue was that I just could not get the fly out far enough. I was able to cast in the 40-50 ft. range with my roll cast, by pulling out more line before beginning my cast. Then I could pay it all out on the forward part of the roll cast, but to much line(or slack) meant the line was unrolling all the way. But I couldn't use a back cast and haul more line out b/c of the limited space. This was on my six weight rod. I was using a fairly large clouser, probably a #4. Any recommendations? I was try to get the fly out to maybe another 20 ft, as there was a partially submerged boat and there were some large fish in that area hitting the surface. I need some poppers.