View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Lake Erie Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc View Post
Hi Dan, yes the floating double taper works. I just thought maybe something else might be a little smoother or help sink the drift quicker. I have to use split shot to get the fly near the bottom of the run or seam and sometimes depending on the water flo-rate I need a lot of weight. If you think WF Rio Clouser is good I can load a reel with it. Thanks for the help.
TJC, before you go and buy a new line look at your leader. You mentioned "an appropriate tippet", how long a leader are you using? Are you using a standard tapered leader? The leaders I use for Steelhead aren't typical in the way they're built. I use a two fly rig combo with a nymph and egg usually on the smaller waters. The bulk of my leader will be 2 or 3 x flouro to help get the rig down quickly. Take a look at John Nagy's book for some good leader formulas...

Dan