View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 04:06 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: What am i doing wrong

I didn't read what everyone had to say, and I've only been flyfishing for two years so I'm not even close to an expert. And I'm sure these guys probably told you all the things everyone told me when I started.

"Take some classes." "Go with someone who knows what they're doing," "Quit whining and pass me a beer."

Hmmm. Maybe that one was just for me. Anyway, what I can tell you is that when it comes to things like flycasting, golf, dancing; anything that might require rhythm, I haven't got it. And as for the flies, I still don't know what 90% of them are for. But they look pretty in my flyboxes.

In other words, if I can do this crazy addiction, then trust me, YOU can do this as well. It just takes time. And you have to ask A LOT of questions. Use your inner pest. I harrassed a couple former guide friends of mine mercilessly for the last two years. Everything from how to tie knots to what the heck is that thing for.

One serious piece of advice: when you go fishing with someone who knows what they are doing, you're not fishing. You're practicing. Do everything they do, exactly. Don't even think about catching a fish.

That's about when you'll hook one.

Peace.