View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cool fishing video

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastroutbum View Post
I am just curious. Why does one of the guys in the video carry a gun?
Is that to scare bear?
I don't want to start another discussion on the effectiveness of handguns on killing bears (or the likely hood of seeing a bear), but most folks that travel in the Alaska bush carry some sort of weapon (remember you are not the top of the food chain up there). Personally, I liked to carry one of those defender style shotguns alternately loaded with double 00 buckshot and lead slugs.

Larry

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmeridian View Post
Hey Larry,

I'm new to the forum and have been spending some time reading posts. I saw this video and read your reply and it got me thinking...Is this fairly common still--people getting random train rides through the countryside and getting dropped off to fish like this?? Have you done this yourself??

Thanks!

Street
Street: First off welcome to the forum! If you are thinking that you might be interested in traveling on the Alaska railroad I'd give them a call on their 800 number (800-208-0200) and ask them about any restrictions they might have (I haven't used that service so I couldn't tell you).

Larry