View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel recommendation

I have caught up to 20lb TROUT on a reel that had maybe 50' of backing. I was able to chase the fish.
You have a fish spool you of 200+ feet of backing on a river I would say 9 times out of 10, you are not only going to loose the fish but your line also. The whole drag thing changes cause you have the weight of the water.
I have only seen a need for 100+ feet of backing for Steelhead and Saltwater. Trout, I have had them take me into maybe 25' of backing.
Even when I fish my 2wt, I caught a 17" that played the current. Ihave a LA I with 50' backing and I had to walk the shore to get it out of the current then it was easy.
But I also fish Bamboo and Glass, so I always make sure the path is clear down stream. LOL