View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 12:43 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rigging my rod/reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by googoo View Post
New to fly fishing and seeking advice on what I need to rig my rod for fishing. Soup to nuts. Leader, line, backing, etc. as well as something i may have missed. I have a 8 wt. rod and although it isn't an expensive rod, I'd like to learn on this one ....All help appreciated. Thank You, New York State
Being new I am sure you don't know if it is a fast or med. action. Best bet would be to go to a fly fishing store and test some reels with different weight line. If it is a fast rod you might want to go 8wt or even a 9wt line. Have to see what works for you.
Don't skimp on the line, but you could get by with an inexpensive reel. BUT, that also depends on what you are fishing for. If you want to go STEELHEAD then you will want a better reel with a good drag.
I need to know what you are targeting to give you more info.
You do have some killer BROWNS up there in NY.