View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 01:56 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a 10 wt rod handle all of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisher99 View Post
I don't travel that much so I do not want that many saltwater rods. But I very occasionally go to places like ontario canada florida keys and various locations in alaska.
You might want to add Loreto, Mexico, to that list. It is a 1.5 hour flight out of LAX. June, July, August are prime time months for Dorado, Roosters, and billfish. Arm yourself with a quiver of 10 and 12 weights (and maybe a 14).

Quote:
So I am looking for a rod that can handle large king salmon, pike, musky, tarpon, permit, small dorado/yellowfin. I think a 9 ft 10 wt with a nice saltwater reel and tropical fly line could potentionally handle these but I am not sure.
A 10 weight can cover those species, but in some cases a heavier one might be warranted. A Dorado or a Yellowfin that sounds will make you wish that you had a heavier rod. Sometimes a 10 weight rod just doesn't have the lifting power. A larger Tarpon will also make you wish that you had a heavier rod.

Quote:
I have only caught these species on conventional tackle, except for the salmon. Right now I have a ton of freshwater rods all the way up to an 8 wt, which has been my only saltwater outfit. I live right next to the coast in southern california with a nice 30 ft boat so I figure I better be more prepared for some saltwater fly opportunities that may arise as well.
It is hard to figure out gear unless you know what you are getting into. An 8 and a 10 weight will make a good start. You might want to have multiples of them, too, as back ups. But I have a feeling that you may need something heavier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutgroves View Post
It could handle all of that, but a 10wt is a big jump from an 8wt, and even a 9 wt. My 9wt feels much more like a heavier 8wt than a lighter 10wt. Plus, on the 10 wt you'll want a good reel, so the weight will increase. Throwing a 10 all day is tiring, no matter how good you haul. Usually 10's require much more line speed to load, so you'll need a good double haul to cast it.
That is a good point.

MP