View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 AM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Barb wired fence running across Odell spring creek in Ennis Montana

Thanks Biggie! I live by the high water mark rule, but had no idea that fishermen are allowed to portage around barriers, that makes me feel a lot more comfortable when I'm venturing down the Gallatin. I also didn't know it was legal to put a barb wire fence over a river, I guess it could be considered a 'barrier' to show property lines.

Dean, I have heard a little bit about the Bitterroot debacle, I went to college in Missoula so I hit up that river a ton. I love the area just past Hamilton, there are a couple secret access points that I found by asking a local newspaper journalist how he gets to the river.

fysh' it's actually quite hard to float down Odell. you can do it by accessing it from the bridge just past Ennis but it gets tight in spots. It can be very deep at times also. I usually just wear a suit and tshirt and swim around the spots that I can't walk under the high water mark. It's basically the only way to fish that creek legally. But I imagine your right, if someone took a tube down that thing and got snagged up in a barb wire fence it would suck.