Thread: this is cool!
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: this is cool!

Thanks for the welcome, Joni. Haven't wet a line since before the holidays, so I'm excited to get out soon. As far as fishing in Colorado, I think the Gunnison is supposed to be some good fly water.

I'm running the Colorado through the Grand Canyon in early April, but I'm meeting folks at the 87.5-mile mark, supposedly past all the good water Might just leave the fly rod behind.[/
Hi nancykim,

If you are going to float the Canyon you will put in at Lee's Ferry. There is some trout fishing right near the landing and down stream. If by chance you are putting in at the Dam you will be right in the good fishing but the raft is not going to stop for you to fish. There is a camp ground between the Dam and Lee's Ferry but I don't think they with stay there the first night. If they do stop you will be in some very good trout water. I have taken a 25" Rainbow right close to the camp.

As you go down the Canyon they will camp at one site that has a feeder stream entering the Colorado right by camp. Rainbow hang out right at the confluence of the stream and river. If the river is discolored the fish will hang in the colored water right at the edge of the clear water. The past few years the F&G stopped regulating Rainbows in the river below Lee's Ferry. They want to eliminate them and have no limit regulations on these fish. I don't know if that is still the case. You are in for a great trip.

Frank