View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:41 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

I'll have to look up Borger's casting technique, Kelly. I've always thought Gary Borger was a class act. Randy, I don't have any problems casting the way I do. I was just wondering if anyone else doesn't use their thumb on top. You mentioned a V-grip, and I might do something like that sometimes. It really depends on the situation, but I know I make subtle changes in the way I hold the rod. Lee Wulff's index finger is fully extended, but I think mine might be wrapped around a bit. I'll have to look at my hand more carefully the next time I go fishing. If nothing else, it's a good excuse to get out on the water.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Here's a Gary Borger video I had saved, and he appears to be using a V-Grip (or the 3-Point Grip):

Is that the 3-point grip you, Kelly? It should be noted that Gary's grip is thumb on top without a rod in his hand (demo), but changes quickly once he's actually casting. Too much time on my hands today....

Last edited by FrankB2; 12-02-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to add video link...