View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
The three main grips out there seem to be the traditional thumb on top, the "v" grip with the thumb and forefinger on either side of the handle, and the three-point grip with the index finger on top.
I'm not so sure the above descriptions are correct. It seems the 'V' grip and the 3 point grip are almost the same while the thumb or index finger on top are two totally seperate grips.
I use the thumb on top almost always. From the shortest of casts to the longest. I will on occasion dink around with the 3-point grip but have yet to see enough benefit in using it to make it my mainstay.
I will use it when I have a student whose line has a tendency to swoop the line out horizontally on the back cast when they are striving for distance. It seems as though musculature when using the thumb on top for distance casting makes it natural to sweep the rod tip around on the back cast. The 3-point seems to go a long way in helping prevent that swoop of the rod tip and thus the line.
Go ahead and try it right now with no rod in your hand. Using the thumb on top grip if you do a proper stop on the back cast, hold it and take a look at your rod hand. You will probably find your thumb pointing to your right shoulder area. The 3-point grip really seems to aid in tracking straight if you have a tracking problem.