View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 08:15 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: loop to loop connection for large Tarpon

I dragged this up again in case any saltwater guys are intimidated by braided mono loops. I made a video and stuck in on another site and figured I'd put it up here too.

I just started using them last year after I had a factory welded loop come apart somehow (not with a fish on). I tried pre-made braided loops several years ago, and the first one I tried fell apart, so I quit using them and went back to double nail knot loops. But after a buddy showed me how to do them, I checked out the remaining factory one in the package I had, and discovered they made it wrong.

So I started making them myself and have caught a lot of big fish using them, with straight 60lb fluoro leaders and poking the wood to them without any problem. I believe they are the best connection possible for big fish, on both ends of the fly line as well as to splice running lines onto WF heads.

Here's that video if anyone is interested. No special tools are needed other than 3' of 0.012" (or thereabouts) leader wire.

In the video, I only finished it with one nail knot, but use two of them on the end of the loop about 1/2" apart with 8 or 10 lb mono when doing it for real.

http://www.miterclamp.com/videos/blind_loop.wmv

Cheers,
Jim