View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: trout food in cold winters

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulHooked View Post
they're still likely to chase something worth their while...a big brown wont move far for a midge, but it might still dash a couple yards for a mouthful of meat. all around i'd expect them to be more selective or at least less aggressive though.
I agree, this winter about half the time i have been throwing double hooked flies much larger than what you can find in any store. I have a couple patterns to simulate brown trout, and a couple to simulate bows. With lots of weight to get them deep and so they drift slow. I havent been retrieving them really either, rather bringing them in slow with a series of twitches, trying to simulate a badley wounded trout. While i havent caught a ton of fish this winter, i have caught quite a few over 18". Not just big fish hit them either, i have caught smaller fish on them, including a brown that was all of 6" on a streamer that was 5"

I havent had much luck in winter with anything else, this is really the first winter i have fished(not counting ice fishing) more than once or twice( i have about 15 days on the water this winter)