View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What am i doing wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjweller View Post
Don't get discouraged! That is key.

Last, remember why you are out there. Fresh air, you're not at work, no one is *****ing at you, it's quiet. Being a pretty accomplished fly fisherman, I got skunked four outings in a row last January. It happens. That fifth day when I hooked a 10 inch rainbow, it meant as much to me as a 24 inch fish.

I also bought a whiskey flask and added it to my gear. It helps a lot!
I fish with Bret (bjweller) almost every week, and I can attest to these two things.

Even the best flyfisher gets skunked or loses five straight hook ups. And it doesn't matter if you have caught a hundred 20" trout in your lifetime, if you have a few bad days in a row you start questioning everything. We have all felt like poor fishermen at some point. Golfers are the same way. Very mentally taxing sports really.

I would give you one piece of advice: find a person to fish with that is better than you are and learn everything he/she knows about the sport. It doesn't have to be a guide necessarily, but somebody who is having success more consistently. Bret taught me how to nymph five years ago and we continue to help each other improve. Now I pass along what I know to others. It is part of the natural cycle.

But make sure you both get a flask. Really. And take turns driving.

Gary