View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 07:22 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

Hammer: I began as a finish carpenter, and have always used a finesse grip with a hammer. Of course nail guns solve any power problem. My wife and I went fishing this afternoon (34 degrees!!!), and she snapped a pic of me with her cell phone. I wasn't thinking about my grip at all (I was thinking it's cold ), but when I looked at the photo could see that it appears I use the 3-point grip:
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Since this is something that just happened in my casting, I wonder if the Borgers observed a tendency to use this grip naturally in their own casting or that of other anglers. Of course the insistence that the heel of the palm be kept on top of the reel seat makes their description of the 3-point grip more specific, but I don't know how critical that aspect is. Keeping the heel planted anywhere on top of the rod would seem to do the trick IMO.