View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: How to roll cast farther???

Hi to all,

I think Racine has made a very good point. I was thinking the same thing. 50' is a pretty good roll cast with a WF line.

Matttrick, I don't know what the circumstances are but here is something you might try. It sounds like you are wading straight out and then trying to reach the target in a straight line from your position. It sounds like you have some clearance behind you. I would wade to one side. The right side for a right hander and use a side arm cast. By moving further down the bank you will increase your back clearance. The sidearm cast works like an over head cast and you will be able to shoot some line. Your cast will be a little bit longer but in the long run it may give you more distance. I use a sidearm cast a lot under trees.

With practice you can cast sidearm almost parallel to the shore and then with your final delivery direct the fly more away from the bank. This style of cast is not a long cast but works pretty well with practice. The trick is to position yourself to one side of the target and adjust until you are in the sweet spot where you can reach the target with your final delivery. I learned the side arm cast years ago when it was the only way to make a curve cast.

Frank