View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montana... what about the rest of the state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_brazil View Post
Hi Larry!

I did not decide yet. But have been focusing my search in MT now... But I have become very curious about it... reading a lot about the west and southwest portion of MT but no report about the rest!

IŽll also search about CO, WY and ID. About Colorado, I have been reading just a few, but have the impression that trout fishing is done more at the W and NW area, isnŽt it?

Well, despite MT being considered a "Meca" for all flyfishermen, I am not so confortable about being there by Jul/Aug... IŽd ratter go somewhere else... and let MT for another trip in the near future.

Larry, could you tell me how is it in CO this period? What about WADE fishing there, BESIDES boat/rafting fishing? Of course, If I decide for Colorado, IŽll try to book some days with you!

thanks!
Alex
Alex: One thing to consider in your trip planning is river access. MT and ID allow fisherman to fish on private property as long as they wade below the high water mark of the river. That means as you travel on any public road in MT and ID and where a bridge crosses a river you can get out and start wading the river. In CO, WY and UT the landowner owns the river bottom so you are restricted to fishing on public access right-of-ways or on national forrest land, so in planning on primarily wade fishing MT and ID have huge advantages over the other states. That is the primary reason I bought a drift boat, so that I could travel away from the WY public access points which tend to get crowded. There are just too many truely fantastic rivers to fish in the Rockies so that will mean you will need to narrow your search down. If I were planning on fishing MT I would draw a line from Missoula to Helena to Billings and concentrate on the rivers to the south of that line. As Biggie said there is really good fishing in other parts of the state but the majority of the great rivers are in the SW region.
CO is another state with some really great waters: the Arkansas, the Gunnison, the South Platte (CO's Dream Stream), the Frying Pan, the Roaring Fork, the Colorado are all truely great streams and each has fairly decent public access.
For questions on ID fishing, I would send a PM to kglissmeyer1 (Kelly) and to Sahsa, both live and fish in ID. For UT questions I would send a PM to Fysh and Joni, they will be able to answer specific questions.
This is a big expensive trip you and your friend are planning and you will have limited time to explore all the waters that are available, so plan carefully and enjoy your trip. Keep asking questions we will try to answer them the best we can.

I have heard a few rumors of another great hopper year coming up so if you come in July/August you will be in prime hopper fishing, so be prepared with lots of hopper patterns.

Larry

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 12-07-2010 at 04:42 PM.