View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Easiest loop dubbing method

I think it would be good to collaborate on the easiest way to incorporate dubbing loops into flies.

I will start by saying that I think loops work best with dubbing materials that have medium to short length fibers. An example of a long-fibered dubbing that I would not work well are "super-fine" and the pure Antron dubbing that wapsi sells.

I think the easiest way is to dub as much dubbing material as possible onto a single strand, attach the loop tool at the bottom of that dubbing, make the loop, twist, and pick it out with velcro.

If you want a fly that is more sparse, but still has the scraggly strands sticking out, you can use the same method but just with less dubbing.

I personally like my "Dubbit" tool, but the above method would work just as well with a coat hanger bent into shape. After cutting the desired length of coat hanger, you'll want to use a file to remove the shapr spots that could cut the thread. The opposite end of that coat hanger is useful for working with epoxy as well.

I love using dubbing loops on all sorts of flies and am contantly working on new ways to use them to improve existing patterns. My latest favorite uses Orvis new steelhead spectra dubbing in prismatic silver or gold spun in a loop to take the place of the deer hair head on a conehead muddler. The dubbing pushes just as much water as the deer hair did, but doesn't impede the sink rate of the fly like deer hair does.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.