Thread: Big vs Small
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Big vs Small

You know its kind of a contradiction for me, because when I have those days where I've caught and released 30 average <12" trout when I'm in the moment I am having a blast and it is a other worldly feeling. Nevertheless, when I have caugh above average fish depending on the species even if I've only caught one fish after fishing from morning till dark I have always felt a greater sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I have to admit to that I often feel like I'm tired of catching <12" and smaller trout. Matter of fact I have a desire to go fishing in other States then here in CA. so that I can fish some less heavily fished waters in hopes that it will increase my chances of catching "Walter" more often. If it were not for the fact that my elderly mother and my children live here in CA. I'd probably move altogether to another state partially for that same reason.

I'm kind of wondering if this coming season after my son and I start catching fish on the first rods that I've built myself and the flies we've tyed ourselves if the sense of satisfaction will be just in having caught fish with those rods and flies.

I suspect eventually though that it will go back to the above again for me.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.