View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cut Throat Trout Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
I think I posted the vid you took of that day here before, but here it is again for those who may have missed it. Warning: there are a couple of expletives in the dialog.
YouTube - Lock Jaw Lake
Cheese and Crackers is right! That is a beautiful cutthroat, guys!

I think one of the reasons I stopped photographing fish is due to watching fish be photographed in videos. I do not mean to criticize you personally, you kept the fish in the water while photographing it the first time, and dipped it back in once, but really, just dipping a fish into shallow, still water for a couple seconds after holding it out of the water for 20 seconds is not helping the fish at all.

No one really knows how long it takes for gills to be damaged out of the water. I have read different things. I like to stay better safe than sorry and get a fish submerged in water within 15-20 seconds. Also, just because a fish darts away when you let go does not mean that damage has not been done to the gills.

I hope I'm not being preachy here, it is not my intent. We are all fishers here and passionate about our quarry. Sometimes we need to be reminded that the picture is not always worth it. Please remember to handle these big, beautiful fish with their best interest in mind.